Thursday, October 13, 2011

NWC Pick 'em Contest: Week 7

'Catdome!!!!
Rats.  Seriously.  I was once again bit by two close losses and my season of near misses continues as I languish in the middle of the pack in 7th place of the NWC pick 'em contest.  Like Willamette, I'm relegated to just playing out the 2011 string. (ZING!).  I was 3 out of 5 last week and that brings my pathetic yearly total to 30 out of 40 and drops me to only 75% on the season.  That's just plain weak sauce. We have 6 games this week and you already know I have Linfield (duh) so here is my breakdown of the rest of this week's pick.

Northwest Conference 

Whitworth (1-4) over Lewis & Clark (4-0) (at L&C):  If you're from Lewis and Clark and you're reading this (and I know you are) then you should be thanking me for taking the Rats on the road over L&C.  The Rats have broke my heart time and again this season and last week is no different.  L&C is saying this is their 1st real test and that's all you need to know about the first 4 games of the Pio's season.  Regardless of the lack of tough competition L&C's offense have some legit talent and going to be tough to contain for a full game.  However, the 'Rats have played a solid schedule and have had shots in each game and have weapons.  L&C is overwhelming the favorite with the other NWC pick 'em players as all the close losses have solidified the Rats as a team that can't close.  That's my biggest worry in the game as Whitworth has fallen short so many times they could be mentally broke at this point, while L&C is flying high with confidence. 

Pacific Lutheran (3-1) over Menlo (5-1) (at PLU):  Again, this should be a tightly contest game and could go either way.  While each have glossy records I think each of these teams are solid but not outstanding.  If this game was in California I would take Menlo but since it's at Sparks I'm taking PLU due to their track record of being a solid team at home over the past two seasons.  Linfield fans should be keeping a close eye on this game and what these team bring to the table as each should present some very good challenges to the 'Cats in over the next couple of weeks.

Willamette (2-3) over Puget Sound (0-5) (at UPS): Nothing to say here besides Willamette's reserves should get plenty of work.

West Region Game of The Week:

UW-Oshkosh (4-1) over UW-Platteville (3-2) (at Platteville): Hugh game in the WIAC race.  Platteville is coming off a very respectable loss to Whitewater and Oshkosh's only blemish on the season is a loss to Mount Union in week 2.  This game as the folks on the WIAC pick 'em board split down the middle but I'll lean towards the team coming in on a 3 game win streak.

National Game of The Week:

#22 Salisbury (5-0) over #23 Alfred (4-1) (at Alfred):  I know squat about these two teams.  I do know that I loved Salisbury steak as a kid and the only Alfred I know is Batman's butler.  I'll take the steak.

No comments: