Saturday, March 3, 2007

My Saturday was shot....


So as I mentioned in my post below I spent my day at Linfield’s annual Track and Field Ice Breaker meet. There are a number of teams, clubs, and individual competitors from around the region that take part in the Ice Breaker as this is the first real outdoor T&F action for a number of the athletes.

For me…I spent my day where I usually do over at the Shot Put. The shot almost runs the length of the day but I’ve always enjoyed volunteering in a field event that you can stay somewhat clean (unlike the disk, jav, and hammer) and watch athletes display some real power.

The past few years I wound up being the judge for the event..which I just dread. A) I’ve never been on a track team in my life B) I barely know the rules to the shot put C) I hate the metric system. Thankfully, I was relieved of duty when former Linfield T&F All-American Joni Claypool bailed me out and oversaw both the women and men’s shot. Would you rather have an All-American in the shot running the event or a dude who can’t remember if a participant steps over the toe board if it’s a “foul” or “scratch”?…enough said. I was happy to be out marking and raking sand between flights.

Before the shot started I ran into former Linfield football stand out’s Carl Haberberger (Linfield track coach) and Tramaine Payne (Linfield Track Coach) and saw a number of Linfield footballers either participating in events or volunteering for the Ice Breaker. It’s just a reminder that we’re really not that far off from spring ball and the countdown to fall camp.

I need to mention that Linfield head track coach Garry Kilgore is an incredible guy. It’s fun to watch Garry run a meet while he’s coaching his kids. He’s in constant motion from event to event to make sure his kids and volunteers are taken care of. Garry to me is the definition of what “Linfield” is all about…hard working, honest, embracing competition, and striving to get better each year. He’s a real kick in the ass.

Oh, for all you sicko’s out there, nobody got stuck by a javelin or maimed by a hammer throw.

No comments: