Friday, October 8, 2010

Week 5: NWC Pick 'Em!!!!

Load up the Wildcat Wagon as it's time for a Road Trip!
Wildcat11 went 5 out of 7 last week to bring my yearly total upto 27 correct picks out 35 games (77%).  That's still good enough to lead the NWC pick 'em page but my lead is tight right now.  My misses last week were pretty tight games but I picked with my heart in thinking SJU would overcome UST (SJU lost in OT on a missed PAT) and what was surprising to me is the Rats gave Wildcat11 the middle finger in going down the the Bay and beating a solid Menlo team.  Of course, it was the Rats stand out defense that got the job done but that was a huge non-conference/confidence game for the Rats.  Interesting.

Northwest Conference:

Menlo (3-2) over Lewis & Clark (2-2) (at L&C):  L&C is an improved team but their two victories are over totally over matched programs but to give the Pios credit they used to be one of those doormats so credit to them in getting it on track.  However, Menlo is a better team that has played MUCH better compeitition and should be able to control the LOS on both sides of the ball and spoil the Pio homecoming.

Willamette (2-2) over Pacific (0-3) (at Pacific):  This is up to Speckman in just how ugly he wants to make this contest.  I expect the full Willamette roster to get plenty of snaps as they should baptize the Boxers in their NWC home opener with a unabashed spanking.

Whitworth (3-2) over at Pacific Lutheran (3-0) (at PLU):  Wow.  I've gone back and forth for a few days on this game. PLU is the favorite for the unblemished record and beating top 25 CLU but I picked the Rats to finish 3rd in the NWC this season and I'm sticking to my guns here.  I REALLY like the Rats defense this year.  They are only giving up 16.8 points a game and that is in playing 3 pretty solid offenses in HSU, Redlands, and Menlo.  However, the Rats offense is another story and that is where I'm concerned.  PLU is confusing me.  They hammered CLU (who I think had a major hangover from the Linfield win) but struggle to beat a crap Hamline team and a not great UPS.  This game will tell us a little more if PLU is for real or not.


West Region Game of the Week:

Bethel (4-0) over #23 St. Johns (3-2) (at Bethel):  SJU is going to be the reason I lose this pick 'em contest.  I pick them to win and they lose and now I'm picking them to lose so you know they will win.  Just add it to the long list of reasons why I despise the Johnnies.

National Game of the Week:

#7 North Central (4 - 0) over Augustana (3-1) (at Augustana):  Big CCIW match up in a conference that has been on the uptick.  I like North Central here and to win the conference and make some waves in the North Region this year.

No comments: